Here are 5 ways to start on your self love program today;
1. Identify any old beliefs or thoughts you have that are blocking you from truly taking care of yourself. For example, “I don’t have enough time,” “I don’t deserve it,” “I don’t know how,” “who will look after the kids,” and my old personal favorite: “that can wait for later.”
2. Get to know what really fills up your “tank.” What makes you feel energised, alive and inspired? It could be surfing, yoga, cooking, gardening, painting, dancing etc. Find activities that make nourish you with energy and put them into your schedule as much as possible.
3. Breathe. Yes that’s right, just breathe. Most people use only 1/3 of their lung capacity to breathe which is called thoracic breathing and it doesn’t allow much oxygen to enter the cells of our bodies as the breath is too shallow and fast. Taking 10 slow, deep, long breaths will help to calm down the nervous system and relax the tissues of your body. If you do this several times a day your body has the ability to increase its oxygen capacity, which assists rejuvenation on a cellular level. Best of all its free, quick and we all know how to do it.
4. Rest. Resting when you need to is not a sign of weakness nor is it a selfish practice. It is a sign of self-respect and self-love. Resting when you need to allows your body to restore itself leading to better performance, increased mental capacity and an invigorating boost in energy levels. Give yourself permission to rest when you need it, it becomes a wonderful healing gift that you can give yourself and you will benefit in so many ways.
5. Learn to say no. This is a big one and something most of us are not very good at. We are often under the illusion that the more we do, the fuller our schedules and the more we give of ourselves to others the better person we are. This thinking is not only false but can potentially and quickly drive us into exhaustion.
Learning to say, “No” is also a form of self-love and self respect because it provides you with appropriate boundaries that you need to take care of yourself. When you become tired, worn out and overworked you are no good to anybody, including yourself.
Learning to say no to things that do not serve your best interests in that moment enables you to protect your own energy reserves and therefore have more to give to yourself and all of those around you in the appropriate moment. You feel better and everyone around you gets to experience a healthy energized version of you.