This tastes like a cross between bread pudding and a torte. It's soft with a crispy top. It lasts for about five minutes once it's cooled a bit from the oven.
Adapted from The Vegan Word
- 1 cup (200 g) plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (115 g) vegan margarine
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose or plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60 g) non-dairy yogurt, soy blueberry yogurt
- 8-10 small plums, halved and pitted (I have also used a pint of blueberries with great results)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 F / 180 C / gas mark 4, and lightly grease an 8-inch round cake tin.
- Cream the margarine and 1 cup of sugar together until combined and fluffy. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to combine.
- Add the yogurt, and mix all ingredients together, then spoon batter into the cake tin. Smooth the top down and add the pitted, halved plums, skin side up.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the plums to make the surface wet so it will stick, then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon on top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (of batter, not plum juice).
- Cool on a rack.