On a windy last week, I couldn't get enough of a super soup at Sahadi's at 187 Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. I drank from the cup while walking down the street, the soup blowing over the rim as the gusts blew. I determined to figure out how to make this. That night, I whipped it up after some googling for ideas, and it's now a family favorite. Here's how to make the magic happen:
The Best Soup!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of red/yellow lentils
- 8 cups of vegan chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- Cooked 1 cup of brown rice
- chopped 1-2 potatoes
- Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin and continue cooking for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the lentils, otato, dd the stock and cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during cooking, especially towards the end, to prevent lentils from sticking to base of pan.
- Toss in pepper, arsley, stir in lemon juic, cooked ric and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- No blending is necessary unless you want it really smooth.