This coffee cake is highly adaptable & scrumptious!
- 2½ Cups Flour
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Canola, Vegetable or Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Soy Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- ¼ Cup Plain Soy Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Nuts (optional)
- ½ Cup Chopped Dried Fruit (optional)
- ½ Cup blueberries, peaches or any seasonal fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x11 or 8x8 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Sift flour, sugars, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a large bowl. Add oil and mix well until all oil is absorbed. Mixture will be crumbly. Take out 1 cup of mixture and set aside in a smaller bowl.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup stir together soy milk, yogurt, vinegar, vanilla extract, baking soda and baking powder. Stir until combined. Add this liquid mixture to the large bowl of the flour mixture. Mix well and then pour the batter into the greased pan.
- If using chopped nuts add them to the 1 cup of set aside crumble mixture. Sprinkle chopped fruit and then the crumble topping over the batter in the pan. Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes for a 9x11 inch cake. If using a 8x8 inch pan cooking time will be 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Adapted from Vegan Gretchen's great recipe.