Great Gingerbread Cake
I awoke craving gingerbread. I never made it before, so I was happily surprised at how moist & wonderfully flavorful this one turned out. Both colleagues & family expressed that this one is a winner.
I altered the recipe on Pamela Salzman's website
- ¾ cup molasses
- ¾ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, the BEST quality one you can find
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoonsground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Combine the molasses, maple syrup, applesauce and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, sea salt and spices.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes for muffins or 35-50 minutes (ovens vary wildly) for an 8-inch cake, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving. Sift powdered sugar over cake, if desired.