Hungarian Mushroom Soup
2 cups onions, chopped
2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons Miyoko’s vegan butter
(available at Trader Joes, West Side Market & Whole Foods)
3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1 cup Oatly oat milk
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon No Chicken base stock
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
· Saute onions in 2 Tbsp water for 5 minutes.
· Add mushrooms, 1 tsp dill, 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, and paprika.
· Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
· Melt Miyoko’s vegan butter in large saucepan.
· Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, a few minutes.
· Add milk and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat about 10 minutes until thick.
· Stir in mushroom mixture, 2 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of stock.
· Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
· Just before serving, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and, if desired, extra dill (1 tsp).
· Serve garnished with parsley.